Thursday, July 26, 2012

Green & Yellow handspun, handwoven scarf

I love spinning wildly dyed merino top!






However, when I had this spun and two-plyed, I decided there was no way I would spend the time needed to knit with this extremely bright yarn. Instead, after I cut the red and black fabric off the loom, I decided to try my first handspun warp and weft in a simple twill scarf project.







To my surprise, only one warp thread had a single ply separate. Instead of repairing it, I wove very carefully, moving the split ply where it should be. After wet-finishing, it's impossible to find where this spot is. Other flaws are a result of overspinning so that one weft "caterpillars," but that isn't all that common in the scarf. Note that I hadn't intended this to be weft-faced, but the usual wpi to epi for twill didn't work because hand spun "blooms" more than commercial yarn. 







Done, it's amazingly soft yet thick enough for a record-breaking cold winter. Overall, I am delighted with the results and will think about what I might spin and weave next. For the most part, I prefer ordering yarn and using it, but this is a good option for top I was going to spin anyway.





Next, I need to finish an overshot design I started on my tabletop Louet Combo.

1 comment:

  1. Der Tischläufer passt wunderbar zur Wandgestaltung.

    Liebe Grüße von Ate

    ReplyDelete