Thursday, July 5, 2012

Red and Black

During this hotter than the Dust Bowl summer, I've been spending time at the Art Center weaving as much as I can. Of course, my brain isn't always working well. I pulled the lease sticks out before threading the heddles, so I had to thread extremely carefully to keep everything in order. Don't touch those lease sticks until the threading is done! (Luckily, I had been careful so there were no problems in the weaving.)

My camera hasn't been cooperating about the shades, but these are made with a bright red and deep black. The first picture is the header with the start of the herringbone pattern, and the second shows more of it.

 When I ran out of black, I used the same red and a different treadling for the solid red, which I really enjoyed weaving. The design is subtle but a lovely broken diamond twill.
 This last picture shows that I was determined to use as much of the warp as possible: it reached within two inches of the heddles! This view gives a more accurate shade of the red.
Here it is, draped over another loom! I will probably make two medieval hoods from the red and black, plus purses from the red (and red/black if there's enough left over).
Oh, the thrill of cutting fabric off the loom!

Err, of course, I had to put the lease sticks through new warp (handspun)--but more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment